By Kris Leonhardt
Continued from previous week
In October 1930, St. Norbert held a dedication ceremony for their radio station WHBY’s new transmitter and power station on what was the southern limits of West De Pere at the time along U.S. Highway 41.
Over the upcoming years, the station struggled to obtain a license to broadcast at 1,000 watts and by 1935, the station had only gained the rights to operate at 250 watts.
However, a new opportunity presented itself to purchase a 1,000-watt station from the Gillette Rubber Company in Eau Claire.
Moving the station — WTAQ — to Green Bay would necessitate the installation of a directional antenna to not interfere with nearby stations.
The station came at a price tag of $30,000.
The application was approved by the FCC in August 1935, and Green Bay became home to WTAQ as well.
“After the radio station was completed in 1931, no additions were made to the holdings until the following summer when the summer home of John Raskob was purchased and converted into a preparatory school,” a July 1934 Green Bay Press-Gazette article stated.
“A house of the order was established there at the same time with the Very Rev. M.J. McKeough as prior and headmaster of the school.
“A few months later came the announcement that the order had also taken over the Columbus Community Club and the St. Willebrord’s Parish at Green Bay.”
The increasing demand for rooming facilities forced the college to take some action in the mid-1930s and a home was purchased on Grant Street to use as a dormitory called the “Villa.”
A year later, an apartment building was purchased on Reid Street and converted into a dorm called the “Lodge.”
In 1937, funding was provided by Dr. John Minahan to construct a stadium on U.S. Hwy 41 north of the city.
That same year, the college began requiring freshman and sophomore students, who are in good physical condition, to include a Basic Military Science course in their program of study, stating that “military courses include valuable information and training for civilian life, emphasizing as they do the alertness, courtesy and neatness expected of an officer, as well as valuable experience in executive responsibility, management of personnel, tactics and supply.”
St. Norbert College was also home to one of three R.O.T.C units in the state at that time.
By 1948, of the 761 students enrolled, only 15% were planning to enter the priesthood.
Continued in next week’s edition