Howard no longer seeking reimbursement for BLM protest
By Press Times Staff
HOWARD – Though four people involved July 28 in a Black Lives Matter (BLM) protest march on village streets still have cases pending for obstruction of traffic, Howard won’t be seeking more than $7,000 for traffic control/security related to the event.
Howard officials stated no parade permit was obtained to have village streets blocked off for the march, but they no longer will be seeking restitution for those expenses.
“The village did indicate on the citations it would ask the court to order the costs incurred as restitution,” said Howard Administrator Paul Evert. “However, after reviewing what a court can order as restitution, we found that it is limited to damage to property and personal injury. For that reason the persons issued the citations were informed the village will not seek restitution.”
The four people who pleaded not guilty to the citations include Hannah Lundin of De Pere, along with her fiancé, Tevin Taylor, and Elizabeth Calaway and Cheyenne VerVoot.
Following their court appearances Dec. 15, Municipal Judge Brian Stevens ordered attorneys involved in the matter to file briefs within 20 days, after which he would issue a decision within 10 days, said Municipal Court Clerk Melissa Heim.
She said another defendant, Hannah Danen, previously paid $124 for an obstruction of traffic citation.
BLM protests have been held in the Green Bay area in response to George Floyd’s death May 25 when he was in police custody in Minneapolis.