Home » Sports » Green Bay Glory » Mielke leads Glory to victory

Mielke leads Glory to victory

By Murray Gleffe

GREEN BAY—Jaci Mielke did a little bit of everything Sunday afternoon at Aldo Santaga Stadium.

Mielke (Green Bay NEW Lutheran) scored an early goal and assisted on a late score as the Green Bay Glory defeated FC Pride 2-1 in a Women’s Premier Soccer League game played at UW-Green Bay June 16. 

“They only played three defenders today for a majority of the game, and I feel like we sent in a lot of good crosses today,” said Mielke. “Shannon [Becker] got me the ball in the middle of the field, and I made a move and got the ball to Anna [Boyd] who finished [on the game-winner]. It was a great team victory today. We needed it.”

Ashley LeCount made seven saves in net for the Glory while Michaela Till stopped nine shots for FC Pride. 

Green Bay Glory goaltender No. 1 Ashley LeCount looks to make a save amidst heavy traffic. Photo by Murray Gleffe

On an overcast, chilly afternoon, the Glory got an early look from Alyssa Barnes who sent in a 37-yard shot that Till punched away.

“I feel like the girls came ready to play right from the start,” said Barnes. “We were on the offensive for much of the first 15 minutes.”

The Glory came close to notching the game’s first goal in the 22nd minute.

Trudy Quidzinski got free in the open field and sent in a high shot that hit the crossbar and bounced back into play to keep the game scoreless.

“We did get some great open looks to start the game,” said Glory head coach Chad Johnson.

FC Pride returned the favor after Stasia Mallin also hit the crossbar on the opposite side of the field in the 27th minute.

Green Bay finally got on the scoreboard in the 33rd minute after Mielke made a left-footed stab past Till who was charging out of the net to try and make the save.

The Glory would take that 1-0 advantage into halftime but not without a scare.

In the 45th minute, Mallin somehow was not marked and got open in front of the net. Le Count moved right and Mallin missed high left, preserving the margin.

“We were very fortunate to have a one-goal lead at the break,” added Johnson.

In the 61st minute, FC Pride evened the game at one. 

A goal kick turned into a high-bouncing ball that leading scorer Miyah Watford corralled and blasted into the back of the net.

As the game wore on, each team had a few chances to take the lead, but the score remained deadlocked at one with just 9 minutes remaining in regulation.

That’s when Mielke went to work.

She got a hold of a pass 36 yards out and danced around two FC Pride defenders before sending a no-look pass to Boyd who popped the ball through to give the Glory a 2-1 lead.

“I knew it was getting late in the game and I had to make a play,” said Mielke. “I just happened to see Anna cutting at the last minute and am glad we got the goal to put us out in front.”

Late chances by the Pride were turned away by the Glory defense as they improved to 2-3 on the season with the win.

“I was pleased at how the team stayed with it to the end,” added Johnson. “We got the game-winner with time running out and it is a big confidence boost for this program moving forward into the season.”

Box score

FC Pride: 0, 1—1

Green Bay: 1, 1—2  

Facebook Comments
Scroll to Top